Mission Control Engineer
Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Mission Control Engineer
Fastly is on a mission to build a better internet, and our Mission Control Center is the nexus that monitors and coordinates activities to ensure the mission is a success. Here our Noc Engineers monitor and evaluate customer traffic and overall CDN performance to make sure our customers and their customers are getting the best possible user experience.
While this might sound a lot like a traditional NOC, Fastly’s Mission Control Center is anything but “traditional.” Rather than eyes on glass monitoring and trouble ticket creation, our team are trained and empowered to directly resolve issues. They work hand in hand with Senior Engineering teams and Customer Support Engineers to identify issues within and beyond the Fastly CDN. It’s our job to make the best sites and apps on the internet faster and more reliable giving our NOC’s the opportunity to hone their skills on one of the highest performance global networks in the world.
What You'll Do
- Monitor and troubleshoot customer performance and activity
- Coordinate with senior engineering teams during scheduled or emergency maintenance activity
- Assist with customer CDN configurations over email and chat
- Communicate customer needs and requirements with the engineering, product and sales teams
- Contribute to our customer facing documentation when necessary
- Contribute to the processes and policies that scale our support organization as we grow
What We're Looking For
You’ll be able to influence the speed of your own advancement, so a pang of hunger for knowledge and technical curiosity will pay dividends. You’ll need a customer-centric focus to advocate for our users, strong communication skills to work across the organization, and a team player attitude to dig in and help keep Fastly the kind of company we’ve always wanted to work for.
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. If you have experience and/or interest in SOME of the following, you should apply!
- Mid-level network and systems engineering experience
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages
- Ability to debug connections using cURL, traceroute, telnet and other network diagnostic tools
- Prior CDN, support, or NOC experience is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar IT discipline and 5+ years equivalent experience
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Calm under pressure, with customer empathy and a strong desire to help.
- Bonus points for additional languages!
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.