Telecom Satellite Payload Engineer
SWISSto12 is recruiting an experienced Telecom Satellite Payload Engineer to join its development and customer program execution efforts on MicroGEO telecom satellites and advanced payloads.
The position opened herein can operate either from the Lausanne or Santa Clara office and will require travel between the two locations to work with the integrated team active across both locations for these satellite programs.
Please note that for export control reasons, individuals who would primarily be working in the US office would need to be “US persons,” either US citizens or permanent residents.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following functions:
- Telecom satellite payload engineering activity, working within the SWISSto12 satellite program team and with external partners and suppliers.
- Ensure the system is fit for its intended purpose and analyse technical trade-offs.
- Manage payload systems requirement flow-down and verification.
- Manage payload interfaces to spacecraft platform (RF, power, command and telemetry).
- Perform payload system analyses, trades, design, and development tasks.
- Develop relationships with payload subsystem suppliers and partners. Work with them to Design, Manufacture, Assemble, Integrate and Test such subsystems. Define and prepare SoWs and specifications, work alongside program management team to monitor execution of activities, contribute to problem solving, ensure successful delivery of these activities.
- Support payload aspects of telecom satellite proposals including customer briefings.
- Be exposed to responsibility for decisions that have an extended impact.
- Ensure technical leadership and excellence is maintained by mentoring younger engineers, and directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of the required talent.
- Prepare and/or review technical documentation in support of all tasks.
- Occasionally, you will be asked to participate in overall tasks and services inherent to a dynamic fast-growing company.
Required experience and competencies:
- 5 or more years of experience with telecom spacecraft payload engineering is a must
- Master or PhD degree in Electrical or Mechanical or Systems or Aerospace Engineering or Physics or equivalent, and at least 10 years of relevant technical experience
- Understanding of principles for spacecraft design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test and operation is a plus
- Experience with satellite digital payloads is a plus
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment
- Must possess the ability to trade-off and optimize performance, resolve complex technical problems, manage technical work with partners, conduct technical development projects
- Experience with managing customer and supplier interfaces
- Real-world experience with system architecture, requirements definition, flow down, tracking and performing system-level analyses in support of trade studies
- Extensive experience with various relevant system modelling and analysis tools is a must
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and thrive in an often-ambiguous trade-space
- Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation of high quality
- Autonomous and proactive working style with excellent working organisation and ethics
- Communicating effectively, excellent relational skills and ability to work in a team with different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Language: Fluent English is a prerequisite, skills in French are a plus
Working conditions and contract
SWISSto12 offers a full-time contract with an attractive compensation package. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
SWISSto12 is the leading developer of advanced Radio-Frequency (RF) products and systems for Telecommunications, EW and Radar applications in the Aerospace industry. The company’s patented 3D printing technologies and associated product designs are unique to deliver lightweight, compact, highly performing, and competitive RF systems. SWISSto12 has developed commercial with success in Europe, the US and Israel with prominent partners and customers such as Thales, CAES, Airbus Defence & Space, Elbit, IAI and the European Space Agency. SWISSto12 is the fastest growing Swiss aerospace company, spun off from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), privately owned and backed by prominent Swiss and European Investors.
Developing from its RF product and system portfolio, SWISSto12 is now progressing on advanced end-to-end payloads. SWISSto12’s advanced and compact payloads are to be hosted either on its own MicroGEO missions or on customised 3rd party satellite platforms for the benefit of customers in the satellite operator ecosystem. The first MicroGEO mission has recently been kicked off and is planned for launch in 2025 (LINK). SWISSto12 is hence staffing a satellite program management and execution team to deliver against these MicroGEO missions.
SWISSto12 is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, and operates a US-subsidiary in Santa Clara, California as well as in Israel. The company is well funded for its near and mid-term developments and backed by a solid customer revenue stream.