Principal Software Engineer, Compute Team
Who are we?
Unsupervised has pioneered a new type of Artificial Intelligence that automatically finds insights in data, empowering companies to make smarter, data-informed decisions, based on unsupervised machine learning. Our mission is to create AI tools that empower humans, not replace them.
We’re tackling one of the biggest problems faced by companies today -- data confusion and overwhelm -- with proven leadership, a world-class team, and a game-changing product. Named a top Machine Learning Vendor to watch in 2021 by Data Management Solutions Review, there has never been a better time to join our growing team and help navigate the uncharted waters of unsupervised data insight.
About the role:
We are looking for engineers who are excited to build and optimize a distributed data platform to be used for statistical analytics. Our product requires ingestion, organizing, and processing of large data across various execution engines. Our current approach uses Dask and Arrow, and we anticipate evaluating and supporting other approaches. As our product grows, the data platform will need to expand to support larger data scale and more complex computational operations.
This role will be responsible for extending our existing compute architecture, and building general-purpose solutions that enables execution of analytical tasks in a variety of run-time environments.
Solid Python experience
Working knowledge of SQL
Have experience with and is familiar with the internals of distributed compute frameworks such as Dask, Spark, Ray
Knowledge of principles that solve for scalability, performance, redundancy and reliability
- Understanding of various graph algorithms including searching, topological sorting, graph rewrite
Familiarity with map reduce algorithms
- 7+ years of software development experience
Have experience working with varying scales of big data
You should have some of the following:
Be familiar with Apache Arrow
Has contributed to an open source project, esp., Pandas
- Experience with C++ or other systems language, Python C extensions, Cython, Numba
Compensation Range: starting at $185,000 and increasing with experience, plus generous equity
Perks & Benefits:
- Health: Top-of-the-line medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Retirement Plan: 401K and employer matching contribution.
- Home office Stipend: Initial $1000 for an office setup and $100 monthly to cover ongoing remote expenses.
- Flexible + unlimited time-off policy: Plan ahead with your team, take the time you need. Simple as that!
- Parental Leave: We offer 12 weeks of 100% paid time off for all employees during the first year of parenthood. We encourage parents to take time off to be with their families.
- Personal Development: All employees have access to a personal coach through a professional coaching service.
- Headquarters: We have a beautiful office at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Boulder, CO.
- Flexible work remotely arrangement for employees: Unsupervised is a remote-friendly company - all year, every year.
Why join us?Our mission is serious, but our culture is fun, collaborative, authentic, and designed to care for the wonderful people who spend time here. We think deeply about how we work and continuously build a workplace that will improve your daily life and positively impact the world.
Unsupervised is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace, and we are committed to growing our team with the most talented and passionate people from every community. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals. If you require assistance during the application process due to a disability, please let us know.